Seven years, I joined Oliver Wight in February 2009 – I can’t quite believe it has gone by so quickly.
2. What’s your background?
I am a Chartered Accountant by training, spent several years in Mergers and Acquisition at Ernst and Young and then became a Financial Controller in Georgia Pacific. Finance was never quite my thing (square peg in a round hole) and I ended up as the European Supply Chain Director for Georgia Pacific before I left and joined Oliver Wight.
3. What does your day-to-day job involve?
Typically flying would be in there somewhere. My job takes me all of over world (literally) so most days involve some form of travel. When with a client I spend most of my time either educating them on what excellence is, or coaching them in how to apply excellence to their business – I love it!
4. What’s your favourite part of the job?
There are actually two things:
· Helping clients transform their organisation – transformation is such a fantastic experience, and I get to do it daily with the clients I work with – it’s a real privilege.
· Meeting new people and building new relationships – I am a relational type of person and love meeting new people and learning about them and what makes them tick.
5. What’s your idea of a utopian workplace?
A place where every day is a school day – somewhere where I am constantly learning and able to practice what I have learnt. It would also have to be place with good people in it who wanted to have fun – life is too short not to laugh a lot each day.
6. If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
Practical, Logical and Happy.
7. What is your favourite saying?
‘What, So What, Now What?’ – I think that will be my epitaph! I ask clients this question all the time when trying to identify solutions to the issues they face.
8. What would people be surprised to know about you?
My childhood ambition was to become a train driver! Turns out I am colour blind so that door closed quite quickly – but thankfully another one opened.
9. What’s your biggest achievement? – Professional and/or personal
Working at Georgia Pacific I was part of a team that transformed the UK business. This was a fantastic time in my life, making some long lasting friendships, making a real difference and my first experience of Oliver Wight.